Your courses:

While at college studying Higher Education, you’ll have two main costs – tuition fees and living costs. The main types of finance are tuition fee and maintenance loans (which have to be paid back) and grants and bursaries (which don’t). Student loans are not available to international students. If you are thinking about studying Higher Education, take a look at the Student Finance England Calculator to see what funding might be available to you.

Student Finance England pay grants, student loans and bursaries on behalf of the UK Government. Most students apply online for their student finance at Parents and partners can also supply information to support an application for student finance online.

At Swindon College, all of our Higher Education courses are eligible for Student Finance England loans, except for AAT 4 and Beauty Level 4, however fees for these two courses can be covered by an Advanced Learning Loan.

Most of our students will take out loans to cover their fees and maintenance; others will either fund the courses themselves or have their study funded by a sponsor, such as an employer.  

Part time students

Part-time students are eligible for a tuition fees loan and can apply online for their student finance. Visit for more information and to apply.

Alternatively students can apply by downloading a ‘Tuition Fee Loan application form’ (PTL1) for new part-time students from

A range of helpful tools and guidance can be found at:

Our partner universities have bursary schemes for their students studying with us to help with living costs, which don't have to be paid back. Swindon College also has a bursary scheme for our own students. For more information go to the following links:

Oxford Brookes University

Student Finance Tel: (01865) 483373



The hardship fund

Students who are experiencing short term hardship, or who have an emergency or crisis which puts them in sudden or temporary financial difficulty, can apply for a hardship grant (non-repayable) or loan* (for which they agree terms of repayment) in addition to other financial benefits they may receive. Students will be asked to provide evidence of the circumstances, their income and expenditure, and provide details of their Student Finance entitlement (this is shown on the letter sent out to each student by Student Finance England entitled ‘Payment Schedule’) in order for an assessment of need to be made; however smaller crisis payments (such as travel fare) can be made straight away in an emergency, pending provision of evidence, if deemed necessary.

You can download and print an application form here or pick up a paper copy from the Higher Education office. Please return signed applications, together with supporting evidence to the Higher Education Office.

*If students are due to receive payment from Student Finance England (SFE) but need immediate support, a loan may be offered and can be re-paid when the SFE payment is made to the student. The student must sign an agreement which sets out the terms of repayment before a payment will be authorised.

Other support

Students in financial difficulty may require other support which can be provided by external services. Students studying on Higher Education programmes within the college may wish to speak to the Student Engagement Team, who are located in The Avenue, Swindon College and can be contacted for advice and support. They can also discuss other services available in college and may refer students to other sources of help and support.