Your courses:

Student finance at Swindon College

What help is available?

19+ Loans Bursary Fund

Students have to be resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of their course and studying 6 hours or more.

Funding may be available to individual students and is based on the table below depending on personal circumstances and which Tier they come under. Students must also have applied for and taken out the 19+ Advanced Learning Loan.

Tier 1

Income Support


Universal credit


100% Travel

100% Equipment / Trips / DBS

100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child)

Tier 2

An income of less than £20k NET as assessed by HMRC on the 16/17 Tax Credit Award notice or the last two wages slips for each working adult in the household.


100% Travel

90% Equipment / Trips / DBS

100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child)


Tier 3

An income of between £20,001 and £30k NET based on the last two wage slips for each working adult in the household.


100% Travel

80% Equipment / Trips / DBS

100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child)


How do I apply?

Complete a green Student Finance application. These can be found in Student Finance which is in The Student Information Zone. Alternatively ring the Student Finance Team on 01793 491591 or Email address Completed applications will be processed in date order of receipt. There is no guarantee that you will be entitled to the 19+ Loans Bursary Fund as this depends on funds being available and meeting the Colleges criteria on progress, attendance and behaviour.


Students 19 and under at the start of their course can apply to the ‘Care to Learn’ scheme for help with childcare whilst they are studying. Please see a member of the Student Finance Team for details of how to apply. Website: Students who are over 19 at the start of the course can apply for support from the Adult Education Bursary.

Will I need to supply anything with my application?

Any entitlement will depend on household circumstances and income. Therefore students will need to supply proof of any income into the household. These will include wage slips and/or proof of benefit. Without this, we will not be able to process the application.

How will I find out if my application has been successful?

Once a decision has been made we will write to students informing them of outcome of their application.

How will it be paid?

For students that are successful, equipment costs will be transferred to the department on their behalf. Travel will be either a travel voucher or a fuel allowance. Childcare will be paid direct to the childcare provider. This will only happen once students have started their course. If any Student has not been awarded 100% for equipment, the balance must be paid to the department. Payments are made if students have 90% or above attendance and follow the Student Code of Conduct.

What if I don’t agree with the decision that has been made?

Students have the right of appeal against any decision that has been made. Appeals should be made in writing to the Appeal Panel, Student Finance, Swindon College, North Star Avenue, Swindon SN2 1DY within 21 days of the decision.

Who should I contact for further information?

Please contact the Student Finance Team. We are situated in The Student Information Zone in the Phoenix Building.

T: 01793 491591 – option 3 E:

The information contained in this document is correct at the time of going to printing and is subject to change.