Your courses:

Student Finance

What help is available?

Adult Education Bursary

The Adult Education Bursaary is for students who are aged 19+ on the first day of their course, studying entry level, level 1 or level 2 qualifications, or who are under 23 and studying their first level 3 qualification.

Students have to be resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of their course and studying six hours per week or more on a vocational course.

Funding may be available to the individual student and is based on the table below depending on personal circumstances and which tier they come under. Proof of benefits and / or wages will be required before an offer is made.

Household Income NET % Allowance and award type

Tier 1
Income Support
Universal Credit

100% Travel
100% Equipment / Trips / DBS
100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child)
100% ACH exams / materials

Tier 2

An income of less than £20k NET as assessed by HMRC on the 16/17 Tax Credit Award notice or the last 2 wages slips for each working adult in the household.

100% Travel 90% Equipment/Trips/DBS 100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child) 100% ACH exams/materials

Tier 3

An income of between £20,001 and £30k NET based on the last 2 wage slips for each working adult in the household.

100% Travel 80% Equipment/Trips/DBS 100% Childcare (up to £160 per week, per child) 100% ACH exam/materials

How do I apply?

Download and complete a purple application. These can also be found in The Student Information Zone. Alternatively you can contact the Student Finance Team on 01793 491591 or via email on Completed applications will be processed in date order of receipt. There is no guarantee that students will be entitled to the Adult Education Bursary as this depends on funds being available and meeting the colleges criteria on progress, attendance and behaviour.


Students 19 and under at the start of their course can apply to the ‘Care to Learn’ scheme for help with childcare whilst they are studying. Please see a member of the Student Finance Team for details of how to apply. Website: Students who are over 19 at the start of the course can apply for support from the Adult Education Bursary.

Will I need to supply anything with my application?

Any entitlement will depend on household circumstances and income. Therefore students will need to supply proof of any income into the household. This will include wage slips or proof of benefits. Without this, we will not be able to process the application.

What can I apply for?

Students can apply for help towards travel if they live further than three miles away from college. Students can also apply for help towards equipment and trips, exam / registration and childcare. However we cannot help with living costs.

How will I find out if my application has been successful?

Once a decision has been made we will write to students informing them of the outcome of their application.

How will I be paid?

For students that are successful, equipment costs will be transferred to the department on their behalf. Travel will be either a travel voucher or a fuel allowance. Childcare will be paid direct to the childcare provider. This will only happen once students have started their course. If they have not been awarded 100% for equipment, the balance must be paid to the department. Payments are made if students have 90% or above attendance, and follow the Student Code of Conduct.

What if I don’t agree with the decision that has been made?

Students have the right of appeal against any decision that has been made. Appeals should be made in writing to the write to the Appeal Panel, Student Finance, Swindon College, North Star Avenue, Swindon SN2 1DY within 21 days of the decision.

Who should I contact for further information?

Please contact the Student Finance Team, situated in The Student Information Zone in the Phoenix Building.

T: 01793 491591 – option 3 E: