Your courses:

Student Finance at Swindon College

What help is available?

Student’s circumstances will determine which fund they can apply to:

Students have to be resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of their course and studying six hours per week or more on a vocational course.

Discretionary Bursary

Available to students based on the table below, depending on personal circumstances and which Tier they come under. Proof of benefits and/or wages will be required before an offer is made.


Help available

Tier 1

Income Support



Universal Credit


100% Travel

90% Equipment


Tier 2

An income of less than £18k as assessed by HMRC on the 15/16 Tax Credit Award notice or the last two wage slips for each working adult in the household


100% Travel

80% Equipment

Tier 3

An income between £18,001 and £25K based on the last two wage slips for each working adult in the household.


100% Travel

70% Equipment


Guaranteed Bursary

Students could be eligible for a Bursary of £1200 (pro rata). If students are:

  • In care
  • A care leaver
  • Receiving Income Support / Universal Credit
  • Are disabled and receiving both Disability Living Allowance / Personal Independent Payment and Employment Support Allowance.

Care to Learn

Students 19 and under at the start of their course can apply to the ‘Care to Learn’ scheme for help with childcare whilst they are studying. Please see a member of the Student Finance Team for details of how to apply. Website:

Free college meals

Available to students if parents or carers are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (providing you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) with gross income of £16,190 or less.

How do I apply?

Complete a blue Student Finance application. Copies of this form can also be found in the Student Information Zone. Alternatively, you can contact the Student Finance Team on 01793 491591 or via email on Completed applications will be processed in date order of receipt. There is no guarantee that students will be entitled to any of the bursaries as this depends on funds being available and meeting the college’s criteria on progress, attendance and behaviour.

Will I need to supply anything with my application?

Any entitlement will depend on household income and circumstances. Therefore students will need to supply proof of any income into the household. This will include wage slips or proof of benefits. Without this, we will not be able to process the application and it may cause delays to the application.

What can I apply for?

Students can apply for help towards travel if they live further than three miles away from college. You can apply for help with equipment and trips however, we are unable to help with living costs.

How will I find out if my application has been successful?

Once a decision has been made we will write to students informing them of the outcome of their application.

How will I be paid?

For students that are successful, monies for equipment and trips will be transferred to the department on their behalf who will order the equipment. This will only happen once students have started their course. Based on your award for equipment etc. you will need to pay a balance of 10%, 20% or 30% depending on the tier you qualify for (see above). The balance must be paid to the department. Students that are entitled to help with travel will be given a bus pass. Payments and bus passes are only issued if students have 90% or above attendance, and follow the Student Code of Conduct.

What if I don’t agree with the decision that has been made?

Students have the right to appeal against any decision that has been made. Appeals should be made in writing to the Appeal Panel, Student Finance, North Star Avenue, Swindon, SN2 1DY within 21 days of the decision.

Useful telephone numbers

Thamesdown transport Bus Enquiry Line: 01793 428428

Stagecoach: 0871 200 2233

Swindon Borough Council: 01793 466213

Wiltshire County Council: 01225 713398

National Rail Enquiries: 08457 484950

Who should I contact for further information?

Please contact the Student Finance Team, situated in the Student Information Zone, in the Phoenix Building.

T: 01793 491591-Option 3 E:

Please note: The information above is correct at the time of publishing but may change before September 2017. This should be used as a guide only.